Located a few miles north of Southern Pines, the area around Cameron is rapidly gaining the attention of home and real estate buyers who seek a relaxed equestrian lifestyle. The beautiful, gently rolling hills in the Cameron area are ideal for privately owned horse farms as well as complete equestrian communities. Real estate tracts from 5 to 20 plus acres, priced in the $8,000 per acre range, are now available in several new equestrian developments.
Located just off US Highway 1, Cameron offers easy access to all southern Moore County cities as well as the state capital of Raleigh to the north. For more information on Cameron or Southern Pines area Real Estate, call our office at 910-692-0770 or email Jo-an@DeSellandCo.com.
History of Cameron Real Estate
It was no accident that the railroad made it's way through Moore County going through Cameron. The railroad brought boom times. The Goodman brother's owned most of the land surrounding Cameron and knew the value a railroad could add to their land. They made an agreement with Major John Scott that if he could get the Raleigh and Augusta Railroad to lay tracts through their land, that every other lot for a mile on either side of the tracts would be his. In 1857 the railroad did come.
For a long time the Raleigh and Augusta Railroad line ended in Cameron. With the railroad came a variety of merchants and residents, and a community was established. Cameron was incorporated in 1867, by an act of the General Assembly, and was named for Paul Cameron, an official of the railroad. The influence of the railroad was obvious when the center of the square was positioned at the depot lot of the Raleigh and Augusta Railroad.
Cameron grew into an active commercial center with many mercantile stores, Millstone Company, six turpentine distilleries and a carriage works. A winery and a hosiery mill were added. By the early 1900's, Cameron was home to two hotels, three saloons, 10 general stores and one drugstore. In the 1880's. The population grew from 117 to 218. The Muse Brothers Store in Cameron was recognized as the largest department store between Richmond, Virginia and Augusta, Georgia.
In 1892, the Lucretia Dewberry was the newest industry to be produced and was introduced to Moore County, putting Cameron's name on the map. This cultivated blackberry was grown on farms all around Cameron. Because of the dewberry, Cameron became the dewberry capital of the world, attracting buyers from as far away as Florida.
The dewberry bushes soon aged and rust struck the already weakened plants. It was under this scenario that the dewberry industry suffered a double blow. Tobacco emerged as the major cash crop. By the early 1950's, both the dewberry and the turpentine industries had disappeared. Even the trains that had once made daily stops in Cameron now just passed through.
Cameron has not lost its charm, even though commercial status is gone. Today, Cameron had taken the old mercantile stores, which once sold groceries and dry goods and now sells a "new" treasure: antiques. Cameron has put itself back on the map as the Antique Capital of the Sandhills. The town is now a reflection of its past. Cameron's historic homes now hold a variety of antique shops and tearooms. It attracts antique lovers and vendors from as far away as Maryland and Georgia with two fairs, held once each spring and fall.
For it's visitors, Cameron is a pleasant place to spend a day enjoying antique shops. For it's 10,000 residents, Cameron is a pleasant place to spend a lifetime with its tree-lined streets and neatly manicured homes. Cameron is an up and coming area with equestrian real estate available at a very reasonable price.